Sunday, February 04, 2007

My First AMEBC Round-Up: Running Blog, Part 3

I guess you can call this post the Round-Up Wrap-Up. The conference finished up on Thursday with the final technical talks and the last day for the trade show booths. I'll be honest with you: this thing was exhausting. I've been on week-long road-trips and benders that didn't wipe me out as much as this thing did. Anyway, it's over and now we get to prep for our return to field work that is fast approaching.

Highlights from the last few days of the conference:
  • Booth duty on Tuesday was somewhat of a soul-destroying endeavour. I had sales people coming up to me and offering everything imaginable: editing services, geophysical surveys, aircraft charters, etc. My three favourites were the offer of building me a deep-water port, a railroad, and asking if I needed to buy a tug boat & barge. I told them I had parking issues in my neighbourhood and couldn't purchase it at this time
  • I was lucky enough to be one of the geologists invited to our company's reception (i.e. schmooz-fest) at the Canucks game Tuesday night. It was a good time, though the Canucks lost in a shoot-out. This also meant that I keep my streak of attending games in luxury boxes at three games. I could get used to that.
  • Attending the game was one of the big stock promoters/analysts of our company. This in itself isn't a big deal, but it's funny as he is my uncle's best friend and former university roommate. In fact, he initiated my dad into residence. When we first met a year and some ago while he was on a tour of our project area, he said, "You're Matthew! I held you on my knee when you were a baby!" My response: "Yeah, well, you won't be doing that again...." Joking aside, this does show you how small of a world it really is.
  • On my walk to booth duty on Wednesday morning, I was trying to sum up the strength to make it through another day of people trying to sell me stuff. Just then, two nice elderly ladies stopped me and handed me information on how Jesus can be with me through adversity. This could have been taken as a sign. My take on it: everyone, even Jesus, wants a piece of me.
  • Wednesday night was Alaska Night, with more free swill flowing than ever before. I coughed up for the $8/oz Skyy vodka; I respect my taste buds too much to drink that draft. There were no security checkpoints for conference badges either, so everyone and their dog off the street was at this event. It was here that I received my favourite job offer of the conference: "You're from New Brunswick?? I got me four of them crazy bastards working for me; they're me four best workers! You ever looking for a job, call me!" The position being offered: heavy equipment operator. The heaviest equipment that I have ever operated is a 40 oz bottle of rum.
  • This is what I got out of one of the technical sessions: Gold prices are going to go up, the US dollar is over-valued, Nickel prices are going to remain stable, Copper prices are going to steadily rise, and Uranium is going to go way up. Nobody ever listens to my market analysis; they say "If it's such a sure thing, why don't you invest?" I'll tell you why: I personally couldn't buy a sick whore an orange right now, or else I would. So if you finally listen to me, and make your fortunes, buy me a beer sometime.
  • I woke up Friday somewhat ill from this dork/germ-fest. Probably the sick jack-ass from Asia that I mentioned in the first post. I'm probably patient-zero for North America for some new strain of the Spanish-Asian-Avian-SARS-flu....Precautions were taken, with a lot of hand-washing and an industrial-sized bottle of Purell at the booth, but I guess it wasn't enough. Awesome, I tell you......awesome....

Now, onto the portion of the blog that everyone wants to know about: the saga of the cute dark haired girl and the results of the poll question, Should I be good or evil?

  • So I went up to talk to the cute dark haired girl. This, as most of you who really know me, is a big deal (i.e. no vodka, in daylight, etc.). It turns out the poll was fairly irrelevant: she, in no way possible, would ever be asking me for a job, and she's not a student. She definitely wasn't mistaking me for the Mat/Matt that hires people. She's a career woman, and probably a couple years older than me (she hides that really well....I thought she was 24-ish...). If anything, I should be asking her to be my sugar-mama. That was a curve ball thrown when I wasn't expecting it.....I'm so confused to what to do now. She's probably a little more refined than what I'm used to. Could this be the end of the lovable dirtball?
  • Now, as for the responses to the poll: WHAT THE HELL DID I EVER DO TO YOU PEOPLE FOR YOU TO HAVE SUCH A LOW OPINION OF ME??? Almost everyone one of the responses went for "evil," but not only that, some of you imply that this is the only version of me that exists. I obviously have to do some public image work. Sarah, I know I wrote "Mat was here" on your inner thigh for your BF to find, but that was for fun...not evil...good, clean fun! And the rest of you.....WTF???

I'm going to ponder my existence & place in the world due to these poll responses, and also try to find a PR firm to help me out. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quote "..the lovable dirtball..."
You said it, not me. But in no way was I implying anything negative what-so-ever in my previous comment. I do indeed have love for the 'dirtball'. Don't make me recount the last thing you said to me before you left (again).

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Your name was etched on my body for a considerable amount of time Mat. And by the way it wasn't my inner thigh, it was my lower (really lower) stomach! It's just so easy to write on my rock hard abs!

Miss you Mat!