Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Some Random Thoughts...

First off, I would like to make a retraction of sorts. The conference last week, which I referred to as a "dork/germ-fest" wasn't that bad. Well, it was a germ-fest, and the fact I got sick probably annoyed me enough to call it "dork-fest." But I kind of take that part back. I met a lot of nice folks there and it's unfair to them. You structure dorks aren't included in this retraction; you know what you did & you deserve being called dorks.

My only true annoyance is what we called "amateur drinkers" in the bar business. These are the people that only come out to two or three big drinking events over the course of the year, typically Super Bowl, St. Patrick's Day, New Year's Eve, and, locally, Harvest Jazz & Blues in Fredericton, and, of course, Round-Up this past week. It's a combination of things: you can't handle your alcohol, you act like you're on shore leave for the first time in 6 months (in essence, you are...), you're typically rude to the regular customers & serving staff, and you don't tip. I saw a lot of this at the conference, so, in my haste, I judged the entire conference by this. For that, I apologize to the "normals" that were there.

Now, on to the fun stuff.

I've said it before to people, but I'm making it known to everyone here: I love my fucking job. I do. Today I was totally reminded of it. I can't think of another job I would want to have.....except maybe studying beach erosion in the Caribbean ....but that's probably hard to come by. But this one's alright, almost every day you get to do fun stuff like this:


Anyway, just today, I realized I'm going to have to learn three new software programs (MapInfo + Discover, MSAccess, and a yet-to-be-named core logging program) as soon as possible. I'm serious when I say that this is awesome....this isn't like that "school-learning;" this stuff is useful and practical. Also, we found out we're doing another short conference this weekend, the World Outlook Conference. This one should be easy: "my outlook is good" will be said many times this weekend. And if I can pull that statement off while wearing my Hawaiian shirt, even better!

We're also getting ready to head back to the field, which pumps me up. On our way there, we might be making a cameo appearance at the PDAC, which will be really good times if Capital O shows up. If the schedule works out, I might try to swing through Fredericton on my way back to Vancouver.....or possibly meet up with my uncles for a week or two on the Labrador-San Juan-Vancouver loop....now you know why my outlook is good.

Another random thought: On my walk home tonight, I stopped in at the local convenience store for a pack of Halls to combat the lingering effects of Germ-Fest. The man in front of me was buying about $40 worth of lottery tickets. It occurred to me that there are basically two types of gamblers in the world: one type occasionally uses it as a form of entertainment (i.e. me), the other uses it as a potential ticket to easy street (that guy).

I started thinking about what I would do if I ever won or came into a million dollars. I can honestly say I wouldn't change too much with my life: pay off my student loan & my truck loan, send my folks & nan on a nice trip wherever they wanted to go, make sure my little brothers got all the tuition money they needed to do whatever it is they want to do, and definitely give the Loyalist club a sizable donation. I'd definitely keep working. But I'd definitely throw a couple parties.....maybe end up like one of these guys:






F**kin' A!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm I've been a bit behind on the required reading but gotta say that post was a bit of a bore-fest. Possibly the most queer post ever. Eat it JT!